Question:
Can anyone help me with this poem?
2006-03-22 21:41:42 UTC
I really don't understand it.

It's called "Call It Fear" by Joy Harjo.

Here's the poem:
http://iwriteilive.blogspot.com/2005/04/call-it-fear-by-joy-harjo.html
Four answers:
mzstorm
2006-03-22 21:46:48 UTC
It is rather complex...I found it hard to analyze too...It seems like she's saying the fear is holding her back, and like it makes her feel like she's on the edge. I think she's trying to tell us how it makes her feel inside. But at the same time she seems to speak in metaphors, so I may not be getting the meaning she is trying to convey.
Curious Girl
2006-03-23 11:03:36 UTC
I think that the poem is talking about the fear of death. Being on the verge of dying. When a person is dying, he or she remembers their life going backwards, so this person is seeing their life before dying. It does say that luck was sitting next to her, but sleeping. This could mean that because of luck she is still alive, or since it was sleeping she died. This is just what I understood. I hope this helps. :0)
redpimpsats
2006-03-22 21:47:59 UTC
call it fear

cus fear is near

not all those how fear

will come near

so call it fear

cus fear is near
twisteddonut
2006-03-22 21:44:19 UTC
Just someone trying to be profound and literate. Trying much too hard, I might add.